Vitamin C – liposomal delivery system

Vitamin C is essential to life. Our bodies cannot make it. We must get it from outside sources.

Foods with the highest levels of vitamin C are the camu camu berry, papaya, red bell pepper, strawberries, pineapple, orange, kiwi, cantaloupe, and cauliflower. Sometimes spinach and broccoli are on the list too, but spinach can lose 90% of its vitamin C within the first 24 hours after harvest and broccoli is not far behind – how much time has passed since these fruits and vegetables were picked and we get to eat them? University of California studies show that other vegetables can lose up to 55% of their vitamin C within a week of being picked.

Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin, meaning our bodies can’t store excess amounts for another day.

The amount of vitamin C in the body ranges from 300 mg (at that level, you are flirting with the disease of scurvy caused by vitamin C deficiency) to about 2 grams (2000 mg)1. Where does it go in the body? Primarily to the leukocytes (white blood cells), eyes, adrenal glands, pituitary gland, and brain. Population studies show that individuals with high intakes of vitamin C have lower risk of chronic diseases including heart disease, cancer, eye diseases, and neurodegenerative conditions. Vitamin C is also considered an “anti-aging” nutrient because it is required to make collagen, the connective fiber that keeps our skin young with taught tissue.

Sovereign Laboratories VitaC-LD™ is a combination of GMO-free ascorbic acid and citrus bioflavonoids with lipid metabolites. Those lipid metabolites make up the liposomal delivery system that enable it to slide safety past the acid stomach and arrive intact in the intestines. According to Sovereign Labs, 2 capsules are equivalent to taking up to 15,600 mg of vitamin C. One bottle of 120 caps lasts 60 or 120 days depending on whether you take 1 capsule or 2.

When Linus Pauling advocated taking 10,000 mg of vitamin C daily, he knew that only 1% of it was actually absorbed by the body, hence the large dose. The other 99% was expended, or degraded, during intestinal transit. Not so with liposomal delivery.

It is recommended to take vitamin C at the same time you take colostrum.

This is not sold in stores. To order, go to

1 Jacob RA, Sotoudeh G. Vitamin C function and status in chronic disease. Nutr Clin Care 2002;5:66-74.